Sunday, December 12, 2010

Excuses Excuses Excuses…

We hear in the Gospel of Luke about a great banquet (Luke 14.16-24) where all the guests who had been invited invented excused why they could not attend. “But they with one accord began to make excuses.” (Luke 14.18) I say excuses because it was clear from the Gospel they knew of the invitation ahead of time but didn’t care enough of the host to keep their schedule clear.
The same thing happens in the Church. Every Sunday the Church sets a great banquet called the Divine Liturgy, and every Sunday we make excuses why we cannot attend. Of course these excuses are not as cleaver as those found in the Gospel. “I can’t come to Church today because it’s the only day I have to sleep in.” That has to be my favorite. But we must beware the lesson of the Gospel.

“The the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.’” (Luke 14.23-24)

God loves us and is waiting for us to enter His Church. Enough of the excuses…find a Church and enjoy the banquet!

No comments: