Tuesday, April 5, 2011

In the Gospel we hear a prayer that could be from just about any of us. “We want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” (Mark 10.35) In our daily prayers most of include words similar to these in our requests to God. And then, when God doesn’t do exactly as we demand from Him, we accuse Him of not answering our prayers. The Lord says, “You do not know what you ask.” (Mark 10.38) He knows better than we do what we need, so when He doesn’t give us what we demand, it would be better to accept that we didn’t need what it was we thought we needed.


In fact I’ve never heard anyone say, “Thank God, He answered my prayers and didn’t give me what I wanted!” Why is it we only consider the prayers answered if we get what we asked for? Although God always answers prayers, the answer is not always what we thought we needed. Sometimes the answer is, “No.” Sometimes the answer can even be, “Not yet!” And yes, He does sometimes say, “Yes.” There is one way we can always guarantee God gives us exactly what we desire.

Our prayer should always include, “If it is Your will…” Then, and only then, can we be assured that the answer will always be what we ask for. The Lord says, “Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?" And they said to him, "We are able." And Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared." (Mark 10.38-40)

Saint James says, “You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.” (James 4.3) The root of the Apostles’ request was, “Grant us that we may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on Your left, in Your glory.” (Mark 10.37) This explains why they didn’t receive what they wanted.

So what is that you want from God?

No comments: