Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas Shopping During a Down Economy


I’ve been reflecting upon Christmas shopping this year and found myself remembering gifts such as shoes, sweaters, socks, shirts etc from my parents for Christmas along with a few toys and gadgets any boy would love. As a boy I remember not caring much for the clothing, but as I grew older I looked forward to my annual Christmas sweater and socks. Then……I realized what was going on.

What as a little boy I saw as boring presents that NO KID EVER WANTED, I now realize were the clothes I NEEDED that were turned into presents I could unwrap and open. Now as a parent I find myself wondering what my son “will open” on Christmas morning knowing that he already has too many toys, but still needs new clothes and school supplies. I ALWAYS LOVED school supplies in my Christmas stocking…

With the economy still struggling to recover and so many families wondering what to wrap and place under the Christmas Tree, I offer this brief post as encouragement. Identify the things your children NEED for school and clothes etc, and wrap them for Christmas in as many packages as possible. The more packages, the more your children can open. Thankfully Christmas wrapping paper can be found pretty cheap. New pencils, markers, water bottles for lunch, socks, and even underwear make great stocking stuffers. Of course a trip to the dollar store for fun little toys and sweets added to the “mix” will sweeten the morning’s fun of opening Christmas presents.

You don’t need Wii, iPads, and laptops in order to have joy on Christmas morning. The real joy comes when your family attends Church together to give thanks to God for saving us from death, and then returning home to enjoy spending time AS A FAMILY.

Have a blessed Christmas

No comments: