Friday, November 19, 2010

"Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, finds so doing." (Matthew 24.46)

New Testament Challenge – Day 5


Matthew 25-28

The opening verses of today’s readings, on the surface, conflicts with everything I ever used to “know” about God and Christianity. At least, that’s what I used to think. How can the Church condone the selfishness of the five virgins who refuse to share their oil with the others? If this question does not stir in our hearts as we read Matthew 25.1-13, we either have no heart or no brain. Even today I struggle with this passage. Here it is:
 1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
2 "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,
4 "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'
7 "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.
8 "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
9 "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'
10 "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
11 "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'
12 "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'
13 "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

I used to think that it was selfish to deny the oil to others so they could also meet the Lord, but that ignores verse 9. Is it selfish if my actions are meant to secure my salvation while risking the salvation of others? This continues to be my dilemma…daily.

I turn also to Saint Paul who says,
“I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.” (Romans 9.1-5)
These words from the greatest missionary of our Church remind me that some people just won’t respond to God and nothing I do can change that. That’s up to the Holy Spirit. Clearly Saint Paul could not have cursed himself since as he says,
“For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8.38-39)
Since if we love the Lord nothing can separate us from Him I don’t see how we could ever be too giving. The message in Matthew 25.1-13 isn’t as much about selfishness as it is about being prepared. When the time comes to meet the Lord, like it or not, we must be ready to meet Him. If when He comes we are, out of love for others, trying to help others find Him, “Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, finds so doing.” (Matthew 24.46)

No comments: