Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Difference Between Can't and Won't

"It don’t think that means what you think it means." There is a BIG difference between 'I can’t' and 'I won’t' that it makes me believe this quote from one of my favorite movies is appropriate. Here are some examples...

What you say: “I can’t come to Church.”
What you mean: “I won’t come to Church because I have no intention making Church a priority. I’m just going to tell you I can’t come and hope you won’t ask for details.”

What you say: “I can’t read the Bible every day.”
What you mean: “I won’t even try to read the Bible today. I have too many other important things like posting on Facebook and watching American Idol.

What you say: “I can’t tithe to the Church.”
What you mean: “I won’t give up anything I am currently buying just to give more money to the Church. It’s my money, and I can do with it what I want.”

What you say: “I can’t chair that Church event.”
What you mean: “I won’t chair that event, but I don’ have the courage to tell you why.”

What you say: “I can’t fast.”
What you mean: “I won’t let the Church tell me what to eat. It isn’t what goes IN your mouth but what comes OUT that matters.”


The list goes on, but this last one is the point. When you refuse to be honest by telling someone you can’t do something, when you could but you won’t, what is coming OUT of your mouth is not the truth. And you know what not telling the truth is...

No comments: