Thursday, July 18, 2013

Demand Less and Praise More


At one time or another we all find ourselves in time of need, and we call upon the Lord in prayer to help us. In fact, many times our prayers consist more of shopping lists than praise. “I need this.” “Please help me with this.” “Convince this person to do what I think is right.” “Heal my friend.” Although we may not use these exact words, the meaning of our prayers is often the same. We want something, and we ask God for it.

There was a certain man who needed something from God, but his approach was very different. He said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.” (Matthew 8.8) How often do we think ourselves unworthy of God’s presence? How often do we simply place our total faith in God’s wisdom? In the face of such humility, Jesus “marveled, and said to those who followed, "Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” (Matthew 8.10) The servant was healed.

In his great need, the centurion praised God’s power and authority rather than demanding a miracle. We could take notes and learn from the centurion’s deep humility. The next time you find yourself in need, rather than demanding (or even begging) God for help, try just praising God. You may end up realizing you don’t need what you think you need after all. With great faith come great blessings.

No comments: