Thursday, December 15, 2011

Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men. Colossians 3.23

New Testament Challenge – Day 31
Philippians and Colossians

First I must make a note that yesterday’s readings ended with Luke 20, but our challenge does not list the remainder of the Gospel of Luke. I will blog on these chapters Saturday. You’ll have to come back. I want to remain focused on the chapters of the New Testament Challenge.

Today Saint Paul (along with Timothy) are in a state of rejoice and thankfulness because they know God is going to bless them for their loyalty.

I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. To them god willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. - Colossians 1.24-27

We should reconsider why we do what we for the Church and for God. Are we serving God or man? I think it’s interesting that God asks us to serve one another while commanding us that we must serve the Lord rather than man. The fact is, that when we serve God we are serving others. BUT just because we are serving others, doesn’t mean we are serving God. We could be serving our own agenda setting in motion a time when the ones we serve will treat us with partiality.

There are likely to be many chances for us to serve God in our service to our fellow human being. I remember a discussion once where I was reminded there were three types of people who serve: one who serves to win rewards from God; one who serves to avoid being punished by God; and one who serves just because he loves God and see God in others.

What drives you to serve? Make your Christmas preparations meaningful and serve the Lord rather than the economy this year……it is after what God expects.

No comments: