Saturday, February 20, 2016

Ancient Blessing in a Modern World

Today I had the awesome blessing of venerating a wonder-working Icon of the All-Holy Mother of God which was more than 700 years old. The Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God was brought to a local Russian Orthodox Church in West Columbia, about an hour away, so we planned the spend the day receiving the blessing of God and the Panagia. More than thirty from our parish made the journey this afternoon, and more will travel tomorrow for the Divine Liturgy. It is truly a blessing to have such an opportunity.

While at the Church, my family was permitted to have a picture taken along with the Icon which I was honored to hold. As I held the Icon in my arms I contemplated the centuries of Czars, Patriarchs, Archbishops, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, Monk, Nuns, and the millions of faithful men and women who have bowed down in veneration of the power of God revealed in the Kursk Root Icon. You can read more about the Kursk Root Icon here.


I also considered how many thousands of our Protestant brothers and sisters would be unable to receive such a blessing from God simply because they continue to refuse Holy Icons. We must continue to pray they hearts of softened by God’s grace and the Panagia’s love for each of us.

No comments: