Tuesday, February 16, 2010

“So I waited for it to bring forth grapes.” (Isaiah 5.2)

These words ring clear today on our second day of the Great Fast especially for those of us who have not brought forth the fruit of our faith in Christ. The Prophet Isaiah warns, “But now I will tell you what I shall do to My vineyard: I shall remove its wall and it shall be for booty. I shall break downs its wall and it shall be trampled underfoot.” (Isaiah 5.5) What will happen to us if our faith does not bear fruit? These words are verified by Christ, “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He takes away…he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.” (John 15.1-2,6)

Let us embrace this Great Lenten journey and rekindle our relationship with God. Let our lives bear fruit for the glory of God. What is that fruit? “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5.22-23) We develop these fruits through the Orthodox discipline of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving which we are encouraged to increase during this time of Great Lent.

Have a blessed and FRUITFUL Lent.

No comments: