Wednesday, November 18, 2009

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.” (Matthew 24.36)

Since I went to see 2012 yesterday, I figured this was a good quote to begin the day. It also happens to be included in today’s reading for the New Testament Challenge from the Preacher’s Institute. I have been approached by young and old alike in regard to the so-called 2012 Mayan “prophesy”. I say so-called simply because in light of Matthew 24.36 we cannot possibly know when the end of the world will take place….but just that it will.

Our task as Christians in the 21st Century is to live like the end can be today. I firmly believe the ancient Christians were “more fervent” than we are today because they truly believed Christ would return in their lifetime. “Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.” (Matthew 24.34) I also firmly believe most Christians have either lost hope in the return of Christ or at least have settled within themselves that Christ isn’t going to return in our lifetime. Whether He will or not is beyond my scope. I’m not the Father.

“Behold the Bridegroom comes in the middle of the night. And blessed is he whom He finds watching” (from the Bridegroom Matins of Holy Week – taken from Matthew 24.46). The time has come for us to regain our fervor for Christ and live each moment as if He will return the next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father,

Let me know what you think of this assessment of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1JmJa8Ifns&feature=player_embedded

Be Transfigured Ministries said...

Father, I enjoyed Fr. Barron's review and agree with his characterization that the Church and Christ have been "eliminated". There is even a phrase in the moview suggesting this in regard to the Italian Prime Minister who chose to also stay behind, something like, "He's putting his faith in prayer." or something like that. Thank you for the link. I enjoyed it.