Sunday, May 4, 2008

When we encounter Christ, others are blessed

The messages of Thomas Sunday are several, but I wish to comment on one. Our Lord said to Thomas, “Because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen me and yet have believed.” (John 20,29) We have not seen the Risen Lord as Thomas did, yet we do encounter Him in our lives today in the Eucharist each and every Sunday. We also encounter Him, or at least others do, when WE are His witnesses. When others see Christ in us they encounter the Risen Lord. Both we and they are blessed when we believe in the Risen Lord without having the benefit of touching His wounds. Christ is Risen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What encouraged me in relation to St Thomas was the fact that Jesus did not reject Thomas. In fact, He lovingly offered Himself in order that Thomas might believe. I find that encouraging given my doubting nature and my inability to always accept things on the basis of faith alone. For me, this demonstrates yet again, how loving and forgiving our Savior is.

James

Anonymous said...

Fr. A, my father and I have been wrestling with this... and, though it's a far cry from much of Western Christian thought, though fallen, we are being recreated into our original natures--into the VERY IMAGE AND LIKENESS of God.

Brad

Be Transfigured Ministries said...

Brad, We can only imagine how different the world would be if we acted as our theology teaches.....if we acted as if we are in His Image. Also, as Orthodox Christians, as we also believe we are the mysitical Body of Christ, this too if taken seriously would change the world. Praise God for this reality and may He guide us to live each day with that in our consciousness.